Inman Financial

Third Quarter 2020

  • Changing seasons, keep up hope
  • Market review
  • How elections move markets
  • What’s happening nearby: Plumper Pumpkin Patch 

Update from the IFS Team

Dear Clients,

The leaves are changing colors, pumpkin spice flavor abounds, and we continue to be blessed by sunny days here in Portland. We hope that this Fall season brings new hope to us all as we move towards the holidays and the end of 2020.

Market Update: Stock markets around the world continued their rebound from earlier this year, despite struggling in the final month of the third quarter. It seems as if the mostly-positive economic news from August gave way to mixed news during the third quarter. Despite September’s retreat, Wall Street was generally optimistic as the economy gradually reopened for business.

The S&P 500 ended the third quarter of 2020 up 8.5%, although it should be noted that most of the growth in the S&P 500 has been due to the influence of five stocks. As of the end of September, 24% of the S&P 500 index was comprised of only five companies: Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, Google, and Facebook. The other 495 stocks represent the remaining 76%. A few companies dominating the S&P 500 isn’t new, but the concentration is more extreme. Over the last 25 years, the five largest stocks represented about 13% of the index on average.

Notable Notes:

  • A Good Quarter Overall – Among the S&P 500, 70% of stocks had gains in the third quarter.
  • Housing Stays Hot – Sales were up 10.5% from a year ago.
  • Home Prices Skyrocket – the median existing-home price for all housing types was up 11.4% from August 2019.
  • Retail Sales Rebound – retail sales have been leading the 2020 recovery, and since June have exceeded February’s pre-COVID levels.
  • U.S. Manufacturing Expands – upturn in new orders as exports grow.
  • Economic Stimulus – on October 6th, Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell said that aggressive fiscal and monetary stimulus is needed for an economic recovery that he said still has “a long way to go.”
  • Interest Rates – Earlier this month, the Federal Reserve voted to keep short-term rates targeted at 0%-0.25%, where they have been for the last six months, and indicated they would remain there until inflation rises consistently.
    Below, we’ve included an in-depth market report. We’ve also included an article discussing how past elections have impacted markets. And finally, there’s a link to a local pumpkin patch that is open and ready to help your family create some new memories.

 

We look forward to being on the other side of this with you,

The IFS Team

STAY INFORMED

Financial insights and resources with a personal touch

How elections move markets
- 5 charts

How much do elections impact the stock market and portfolio returns? Should elections even matter to long-term investors in the first place? These are the questions investors are facing as November 3rd approaches. To provide answers, experts have analyzed more than 85 years of data and identified five ways that elections influence markets and investor behavior.

What's Happening
Plumper Pumpkin Patch

“Yay FALL!”

Plumper Pumpkin Patch – The Plumper Pumpkin Patch and Tree Farm are located on 65 acres of what used to be a century dairy farm. Our focus here is to provide easy access to homegrown produce while creating lasting memories for children and families. Most of the attractions will be open! You will see many new hand sanitizer stations, staff members dedicated to sanitizing touch surfaces, and one-way paths.

Open September 26th for the 23rd season!

Hours: Tuesday thru Sunday 9am – 5:30pm. Closed on Mondays!

Tickets must be purchased in advance.

Recent Newsletters

Beauty out of the Darkness

Mental health awareness
Out of the Darkness poem
10 ways to take care of your mental health
Importance of your attention
Some good news
Local events

Second Quarter 2021

Market review
Timing the sale of your home
Gas tax history
What’s Happening – Downtown Tigard Night Out, Smile Summer Music, Sandcastle Competition, Open-Air Rooftop Cinema

Happy Summer, New Look

We have a new logo and website!
IFS core values
Creating a My Social Security account
Combating FOMO in your portfolio
What’s happening nearby: Cathedral Park Jazz Festival, Tigard Farmers Market, Personalized Winery Tours

First Quarter 2021

We have a new team member!
Market review
The perils of trying to time the stock market
Thinking about college? Conversation with a (former) student affairs dean
COVID-friendly adventures: Urban Adventure Quest, Dinner Detective, 2021 Wooden Shoe Tulip Festival, Stream a Live Theatre Production

CONTACT US

Peace, Clarity, Confidence

we'll help you get there